Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In Response to Essay Packet 2


I found this packet of essays to be somewhat different in a way I wasn’t exactly fond of. Don’t get me wrong I definitely respect the works and I find the Synthesis essays with the small remarks at the bottom divided by the lines to be more than interesting. Though there wasn’t much of a relationship I thought this was very profound and unique.

Language is extremely important in these essays because it’s what separates them from fiction and factual ideas. Essays like the ones from this packet use a combination of storytelling, ideas, imagination and fact to create the writings we see before us. Words like ‘Dream’, ‘Homonym’, ‘Maxim’ and other such words typically don’t appear in works like this, but I do find that really cool that they are separated from the rest of the essay they fall under. The word trickles down the essay and becomes the writer’s ideas (abstract for the most part) in which I believe they begin talking about themselves or a daydream they have experienced.

The essays that divulge into language use not only English but even outside of that and more, for example the essay: The Three Voices plays with Spanish (yes only using Naranjo, but still a very unique use and mesh of two languages to become one essay).

There is an odd way of confusing the reader in my opinion. To my belief there isn’t really a relationship between those poem-like writings below the lines of the synthesis essays. If there is some kind of relation it is little to none. As such in Synthesis VI where the essay speaks of a self-conscious writer (themself I believe) and in the small remarks the writer asks about where things have gone. Could this possibly refer to the writer’s mind and things they have lost?

1 comment:

  1. ok, say more specifically about what these essays are doing... otherwise, good responses here the past 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete